According to defense reports, India and Pakistan on Thursday announced a ceasefire along the Line of Control from midnight of February 24-25 in order to have a peaceful atmosphere along the disputed border. This was announced by the Defence Ministry after a meeting of Director Generals of Military Operations of the two armies.
India & Pakistan released a joint statement of Feb 25th, 2021. "Both sides agreed to strict observance of all agreements, understandings, and cease firing along the Line of Control and all other sectors with effect from midnight 24/25 Feb 2021," the Defence Ministry said in the statement.
"In the interest of achieving mutually beneficial and sustainable peace along the borders, the two DGMOs agreed to address each other’s core issues and concerns which have the propensity to disturb the peace and lead to violence."
Both sides reiterated that existing mechanisms of hotline contact and border flag meetings will be utilized to resolve any unforeseen situation or misunderstanding.
The DGMOs of India and Pakistan held discussions over the established mechanism of hotline contact. The two sides reviewed the situation along the Line of Control and all other sectors in a free, frank, and cordial atmosphere.
India and Pakistan have a ceasefire agreement since 2003, but thousands of ceasefire violations have been reported in the last three years shattering the fragile border peace.
Earlier this month, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh informed the Parliament that in 2020 there were a total of 4,649 ceasefire violations by the Pakistan Army on the LoC. The Defence Minister said that ceasefire violations have increased since 2011.