INDIA Cases - 198,370, Deaths - 5,608
Global Cases - 6,358,514, Deaths - 377,036
Railway Ministry announced that all the trains except Shramik Special trains remain suspended till May 17. Earlier, the Central government announced the extension of the nationwide lockdown till May 17 to curb the spread of coronavirus. However, Special trains will be allowed to run to ferry the stranded people back to their hometowns. Migrant workers, students, pilgrims and tourists stuck at different places will be allowed to travel back to their homes via special trains. First special train service started on Friday to facilitate the movement of workers and students stuck in Hyderabad to travel back to Jharkhand.
As per Railways official notice Indian Railways passenger train services to remain cancelled till May 17. On Saturday Indian Railways tweeted regarding the same, that Passenger train services to remain halted until lockdown & refund of already booked tickets to be facilitated soon. However, Shramik Special service trains will be allowed to run after the state governments give permission for the same. In continuation of the measures taken in the wake of COVID-19, it has been decided that the cancellation of all passenger train services on Indian railways, that is mail/express, including premium trains, passenger trains, suburban trains shall be extended till May 17, 2020, an official statement said. Movement of goods and parcel trains is permitted to ensure the sufficient availability of necessities across all parts of the country. However, the passenger train services shall remain cancelled for two more weeks in the wake of ongoing coronavirus pandemic and the resulting nationwide lockdown.
Should Read-Only these trains will run amid lockdown
Indian Railways announces all passenger train services except ShramikSpecialTrains to remain cancelled till 17th May. Full refund of travel fare for all such train tickets will be facilitated.
Indian Railways announces all passenger train services except #ShramikSpecialTrains to remain cancelled till 17th May. Full refund of travel fare for all such train tickets will be facilitated. pic.twitter.com/3JifENE6dV— All India Radio News (@airnewsalerts) May 2, 2020
Special trains will run only if both the state governments, where the people are stranded and where they need to go, agree for the same.' We will not issue any tickets to any individual or entertain any request from any group or individual. We will allow only those passengers to board whom state govt officials will bring to Railway Stations, a railway spokesperson said.
Indian Railways is running Shramik special trains keeping berths empty in each coach to maintain social distancing. The trains are returning empty from destinations under lock & key. Free food and bottled water are being given to migrants by railways: Railway Ministry Sources.
Railways have subsidised 85 per cent of ticket fare for special trains being run to transport migrant workers and the state government has to pay remaining 15 per cent
Railways are charging only standard fare for this class from State Governments which is just 15% of the total cost incurred by Railways. Railways are not selling any tickets to migrants and are only boarding passengers based on lists provided by States: Railway Ministry Sources
Website of the Indian Railways- indianrail.gov.in