INDIA Cases - 198,370, Deaths - 5,608
Global Cases - 6,354,624, Deaths - 376,796
Indian Railways is running Shramik special trains keeping berths empty in each coach to maintain social distancing. The trains are returning empty from destinations under lock & key. Free food and bottled water are being given to migrants by railways: Railway Ministry Sources. Railways have subsidized 85 percent of ticket fare for special trains being run to transport migrant workers and the state government has to pay the remaining 15 percent.
Railways are charging only standard fare for this class from State Governments which is just 15% of the total cost incurred by Railways. Railways are not selling any tickets to migrants and are only boarding passengers based on lists provided by States: Railway Ministry Sources.
Rahul Gandhi, who rained on the railway to collect freight from stranded laborers, to contribute to the PM Care Fund, said- solve this cliff
Rahul Gandhi wrote in his tweet on Monday - 'On one hand the Railways is charging ticket fare from the trapped laborers in other states, on the other hand, the Ministry of Railways is giving Rs 151 crores to the PM Care Fund. Just sort it out!'
Indian Railways is running Shramik special trains keeping berths empty in each coach to maintain social distancing. The trains are returning empty from destinations under lock & key. Free food and bottled water is being given to migrants by railways: Railway Ministry Sources pic.twitter.com/MJKnI28jxn— ANI (@ANI) May 4, 2020
Between the third phase of coronavirus lockdown, the work of transporting migrant laborers to their place of origin or home is being done by the central and state governments. Former Congress President Rahul Gandhi has targeted the Center for taking travel fare from migrant laborers. He wrote in his tweet on Monday- 'On the one hand the Railways is charging ticket fares from the trapped laborers in other states, on the other hand, the Ministry of Railways is donating Rs. 151 crores to the PM Care Fund. Just sort it out!'
Earlier, amid mounting cases of coronavirus in the country, Congress President Sonia Gandhi announced on Monday that the Congress party would bear the cost of the train journey to return the trapped laborers home.
The Congress has tweeted and wrote, 'The Indian National Congress has decided that every unit of the State Congress Committee will bear the ticket cost for the journey of every needy laborer and worker to return home and take necessary steps in this regard.' Congress has tweeted the statement of party president Sonia Gandhi.
Sonia Gandhi has said, 'Workers and workers are the backbones of the country. Their hard work and sacrifice is the foundation of nation-building. Due to lockdown on only four hours' notice, lakhs of workers and workers were deprived of returning home. After the Partition of 1947, the country saw for the first time a shocking view that thousands of workers and workers were forced to return home walking hundreds of kilometers. Even today, lakhs of workers and workers want to go back home from different corners of the whole country, but there is no means, nor money. The sad thing is that the Government of India and the Ministry of Railways are charging rail travel fare in these times of difficulty for these toiling people. '