Disengagement started at Pangong Tso, both sides to maintain Pre-April 20 situation, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in Rajya Sabha

Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh briefing the Rajya Sabha on current situation at India-China border said that both sides have agreed to maintain Pre-April 2020 situation. Disengagement at Southern and Northern of Pangong Tso lake has been started, Singh said in his statement in Rajya Sabha.

By Rohit Sindhu, Updated : Feb 11, 2021 11:18 IST
Disengagement started at Pangong Tso, both sides to maintain Pre-April 20 situation, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in Rajya Sabha
Rajnath Singh in Rajya Sabha- Photo-Representational

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said that both India and China have agreed to maintain the situation that was being maintained earlier to April 2020. Elaborating the current situation at India-China border Singh said that the disengagement has been started at South and North of Pangong Tso lake, however, friction points are still there, Minister added.

Consensus on south Pangong Pso Lake for the disengagement has been reached. Disengagement has started with the help of bilateral meetings held between both sides. Both the sides have agreed to remove their troops and deployment in an authentic and verified manner. Both sides will move back to their posts situated at the pre-April 2020 situation. Chinese deployment will move back to the East of Finger 8, whereas the Indian Army will be at Finger 3.

"China will keep its troops to the east of the Finger 8 at the north bank of Pangong Lake. India will keep its troops at its permanent base near Finger 3", Defence Minister Rajanth Singh said in Indian Parliament.

Since last year, we have maintained a relationship with China on military & diplomatic levels. During the talks, we told China that we want a solution of the issue based on three principles. And today I am saying that disengagement has started in South & North of Pangong Tso, Indian Army to stay to Finger 3, PLA at FInger 8 and a Pre-April 2020 situation will be maintained, said Rajnath Singh in Rajya Sabha.

Also Read- Entire situation at India-China border is under control: Indian Army Chief

Should read- India-China: Disengagement at border has started, says Chines mouthpiece Global Times

First, both parties must agree on LAC & respect it. Secondly, there shouldn't be an attempt to change the status unilaterally, by any party. Thirdly, all the compromises should be completely agreed upon by both parties. Patrolling will remain halted until the talks at the highest level to be conducted on the matter.

  • Both sides have agreed to remove all deployments made after April 2020. 
  • I reiterate here in Parliament that 'We have not lost anything', said Rajnath Singh in Parliament
  • Still outstanding issues are there, will remain to resolve soon. Through bilateral engagement. China is known to our resolves, he added.

Defence Minister Singh said that our sustained talks with China have led to agreement on disengagement on the north and south banks of Pangong Lake. After this agreement, India-China will remove forward deployments in a phased, coordinated manner.

"We are committed to maintaining a peaceful situation at the Line of Control. India has always emphasised on maintaining bilateral ties", Defence Minister Rajnath Singh added in his statement on ‘present situation in Eastern Ladakh’ in Rajya Sabha.