India-China border Row: Beijing Gained Nothing, Only Lost Face after Nine Months of Standoff with India, Says Lt Gen YK Joshi

According to Defense Sources, Lt Gen YK Joshi on Thursday claimed that even after nine months of a military standoff with the Indian Army in eastern Ladakh, China has only lost face and earned nothing.

By Harkirpal Singh, Updated : Feb 18, 2021 17:40 IST
India-China border Row: Beijing Gained Nothing, Only Lost Face after Nine Months of Standoff with India, Says Lt Gen YK Joshi
India-China Disengagement

At the end of nine months of a military standoff with the Indian Army in eastern Ladakh, China has only lost face and earned a bad name, said Lt Gen YK Joshi, the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Army’s Northern Command on Thursday

Lt Gen Joshi said that the Chinese had been aiming to shift their claims further along the LAC and acquire more dominating heights but they have achieved nothing in the past nine months and have gone back to status quo ante.

“It’s very surprising that they did what they did. I was a brigade commander from 2009-11 when we had only 2 battalions looking after the entire Eastern Ladakh,” he expressed astonishment at China’s attempts to shift the LAC as far as possible by the use of force.

Also Read- Indo-China Border Row: 45 Chinese Soldiers Killed in Galwan, says Lt Gen YK Joshi (Northern Commander)

Explaining what could have motivated Chinese action and what they hoped to gain from the situation, Lt Gen Joshi said, “Since 2009-11, we have been improving force levels in these areas. We have been improving infrastructure in these areas and we are drawing closer to the clarification of the LAC at some stage."

"PLA has realized this and they are looking to shift the claims westwards, acquire more dominating heights, shift the LAC as far as possible till we arrive at a clarification of the LAC. So, that was their aim but then China has achieved nothing post this,” he added.

“They have gone back to status quo ante, all their forces have gone back, and all the landforms have been restored. They just earned a bad name and nothing else,” he said.

According to Vk Joshi, China has pulled back because the Indian Army gained a tactical advantage by occupying the Kailash Range on August 29, 30. “Post 29, 30, we’ve had these three flag meetings — 7th, 8th, and 9th. In these meetings, China was looking for a face-saver. But in these three flag meetings, China realized that we will not be relenting.” he added

On the question of a possible lapse in detecting China’s movements and more importantly intentions, Lt Gen Joshi said, “I would not say it was a lapse. Every year the PLA comes on the western highway in the area of Khangsewar, Saidullah, and they carry out the exercises, and last year the same thing happened."

He stated that if he was to make a guess on China’s intention, that was not very clear immediately. According to him, that got clear when PLA came to Galwan, up to patrol point 15, 17 Alpha, and subsequently on the North bank as well.

Should Read- India Army increases its firepower as COAS flags-off 100th K-9 Vajra-T Howitzer

Even as India-China disengagement began on February 10, the standoff has led to major distrust between the two sides. “Given the fact that they broke all the agreements and they did what they did, currently, the trust levels are low. We have to build up this trust again if we want to have peace,” said Yk Joshi.

However, Lt Gen Joshi said, “The Chinese have shown their sincerity of intent or purpose in carrying out the disengagement process. And as agreed earlier, we started on February 10 and they have been doing it at a very rapid pace.” 

📣 Follow SeeLatest.com at Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & Telegram. Stay updated for latest headlines.